introduction to an aspiring teacher

 Hello! I'm Katelyn Callahan, a soon-to-be 21 year-old senior at the University of Oklahoma. Originally, I'm from Tulsa, OK, and I have lived in Oklahoma for the majority of my life minus about three years when I lived in Kansas. I'm an enneagram type one, so do with that what you will. In college, I'm studying Language Arts Education in hopes of becoming a middle school English teacher. As you might be able to presume from my major, I love to write. I especially love all things technical about writing, especially grammar. 


Aside from my love for writing, I love cats! In fact, I love cats so much that I have a memorial tattoo for my childhood cat, Jasper. Below are some pictures of Jasper and the tattoo I got in his memory. Another fun fact: I got this tattoo in London while I was studying abroad!

(Image information: personal photo 
of my late cat, 
Jasper, July 2016)

(Image information: personal photo of my tattoo 
of Jasper by Georgina Liliane, March 2019)

Another thing that I'm really into is astrology. It might seem silly, but I think it's extremely interesting to learn about. Some may think it's farfetched, but I believe there is some truth to it as naive as that may sound. Everything I read about my own signs always seems way too accurate to be untrue. I myself am a Virgo sun, Scorpio rising, and Gemini moon. If you know anything about astrology, please tell me your signs! It makes for a great research opportunity. 

When I'm not loving on cats or doing research about astrology, I am probably either cooking or baking something. Second to sleeping, I love being in the kitchen. Even when I don't feel like making anything myself, I am almost always watching some cooking/baking related content on TV or YouTube. Some of my favorite things that I make are Spanish rice, meatballs, and chocolate chip cookies! Many times a day I will find myself scrolling Pinterest trying to find a recipe to try. I like to think I'm a chef, and my family and friends don't mind it much either.

Lastly, I am extremely passionate about kids and learning, leading to my future career as a teacher. Currently, I work as a daycare teacher, and I love to see the kids I work with grow and get smarter every day. When I have my own classroom, I hope to be the support system students need going through school, especially middle school because of the awkwardness of it all. Once I graduate in Spring 2021, I plan to return to Tulsa and work for an urban school district in the area.

Comments

  1. Hey Katelyn, it's super cool that you want to be a teacher and are already getting experience in a daycare. What do you think made you want to be teacher in the first place? Your cat was very cute I'm sorry that he's no longer with us. Do you plan on adopting anymore cats after graduating? I'm sure you're going to be an amazing teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katelyn!

    I also love cats! I have a cat named Oliver, so it's great to meet so many cat lovers in this class, haha. Sorry to hear about Jasper; he was very pretty. I wish I knew more about astrology! My big 3 are Taurus sun, Libra moon, and Aries rising if you are curious! Cooking and baking are definitely fun hobbies because it allows us to be more creative and adventurous. You also get rewarded with yummy food. It was nice to meet you!

    Soriyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katelyn!

    From what you wrote, you seem like you live a very exciting life. I'm super jealous that you traveled to London, that's one of my bucket-list places to go! Also, I really like the tattoo you got for your cat Jasper. I am also a cat (and tattoo) lover, so seeing that picture was really neat. Your cat is beautiful and the artist really emphasized how pretty he was. It was nice meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I never introduced myself either, It says unknown at the top (yikes) but my name is Erin! Sorry for not including that before!

      Delete
  4. It is so nice meeting you again, Katelyn: I am really glad that this class can be another chapter in your quest to become a teacher... and of course you know that I am a fan of all the Language Arts and all the Language Arts educators! And here's something really cool that happened to me this summer: after I wrote up the Teaching Guide for my Tiny Tales books, Larry Ferlazzo asked me to write a guest post for his blog! TOTAL FAN GIRL MOMENT! Larry is one of my very favorite teachers at Twitter, so I was very excited to write the post; here it is: Tiny Tales Teaching Resource - link... and if you don't know Larry yet, check out his blog. He's one of the teachers I learn new things from all the time! Yay for teacher Twitter... it's like fun professional development and socializing all at the same time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katelyn! What are your thoughts on the enneagram? Most everyone I talk to loves it, but I'm not quite sure I am sold on it yet. The test says I am a 2w3, though. Your cat is precious and it is so cool you got to study abroad in London! It is one of my favorite cities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts