growth mindset

 Upon reading Laura Gibbs blog post Growth Mindset and Ungrading, I learned some new things about why her class is set up the way it is. As a future teacher myself, upgrading is something I would love to implement in my own classroom. Laura's take on feedback being more important than grades themselves is something I firmly believe in as well. 

My only issue with ungrading is that when I was going through school, grades are what motivated me to do my work. In one of my education classes, we are currently learning about self-determination theory, which explains why and how people motivate action. For myself growing up, performing better than my peers, or performance-approach goals, was something that motivated me to do my work. This type of motivation is under the umbrella of introjection regulation, a common form of motivation amongst younger students. Although I myself have grown past introjection regulation, it is something that. I will have to be aware of in my students. Although I love the idea of ungrading in my own classroom, I'm not sure if it would be a good way to motivate every student. 

(Image information: continuum of motivation
obtained from Springer Link)

Comments

Popular Posts